AESI is a respected management consulting and engineering firm, serving utilities, municipalities, and government agencies since 1984. With staff from across the utility and critical infrastructure segments, AESI has a full perspective of the challenges being faced by our clients in the changing marketplace. As a result, AESI is recognized by our clients as a preferred partner for supporting and augmenting their engineering, operations, and strategic business needs.
Our mission is to enhance the effectiveness of our clients’ operations and business processes, through the provision of exceptional engineering, technical and management services. We are dedicated to the concept of total system engineering and maintain the highest standards of excellence for every client on every project. As a result, our clients view us as a trusted advisor.
Why Work For AESI?
AESI is not a big conglomerate. From your first day, you are an important member of the team, and your voice counts. We are about our people:
- We offer competitive compensation packages.
- We provide a comprehensive benefits package.
- We are a small organization, and our clients and projects are diverse– the variety of work completed by our staff offers plenty of opportunity for challenge and growth.
- We firmly believe that when you succeed, we succeed, which is why we are steadfast in our support for your continued professional development growth.
- We recognize and support a healthy work/life balance because we know, beyond the office, it is family that we cherish.
AESI is seeking a Corporate Accounting & Reporting Manager for a position on our Milton, ON team. Working under the direction of the Vice President of Finance & Operations, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the continuous delivery of proactive, strategic and timely corporate accounting and reporting services. The incumbent should have in-depth knowledge of accounting theories, principles, standards, practices and rules. Mergers and Acquisitions transaction experience is preferred, including idea origination, industry and strategic fit analysis, accounting/financial/business valuation analysis, deal structuring, due diligence, and deal contract drafting and negotiation experience.
General Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for day-to-day accounting including:
- Maintaining and updating accounting records by performing duties such as recording and posting transactions in journals and the general ledger for accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
- Code source documents such as invoices and receipts to the appropriate accounts
- Cash management (including placement/movement of funds in various accounts), monthly cash forecasts
- Maintain organized set of detailed records and files to document financial transactions
- Prepare, issue, and pay invoices and follow up on late accounts in accordance with established procedures
- Responsible for oversight of accounts receivable and accounts payable functions
- Maintains bank account records; reconciles bank accounts and balances cheque books
- Manages foreign exchange transactions
- Responsible for payroll and entry into accounting software; knowledge of Canadian and US payroll principles
- Compiles, maintains and produces statistics and reports of records such as seniority lists, vacation entitlement, and sick leave and overtime banks
- Resolves complex accounting issues or assists other AESI personnel in resolving financial issues
- Supervises accounting team members, including review and approval of work assignments and training requirements of the team and completion of regular performance reviews as required
- Stays current with all Canadian and US regulations, practices, tax laws, reporting requirements and industry trends
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required
- Responsible for the preparation, review, and analysis of various financial reports, including month end reports, monthly trial balance, and ad-hoc report requests from the Vice President of Finance & Operations, to ensure that reports are prepared in a timely, accurate manner, meet all reporting requirements, responds to the needs of clients, and enhances strategic decision-making by senior management
- Preparation of timely and accurate financial statements; and recommends certification to senior management for the accuracy in compliance with applicable Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), financial and administrative policies and relevant legislations
- Accountable for building and implementing an active monitoring framework to ensure all financial accounts are proactively reviewed, analyzed, and monitored, with a view to ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), financial and administrative policies and relevant legislations, identifying potential cost savings to senior management and ensuring that appropriate and timely actions are taken to address any significant issues/potential risks
- Recommends changes to the reporting architecture and content of the Chart of Accounts (COA) in order to ensure the COA is optimally configured to enable accurate and sound financial reporting for decision-making and to ensure appropriate compliance with the federal Government’s financial directives.
- Provides strategic and authoritative advice regarding corporate accounting, including accrual accounting and capitalization of assets.
- Proactively identifies potential accounting problems and develops recommended operational and strategic solutions, including system-wide changes or additional training for users, based on expertise and best practices to continuously improve accounting activities and to ensure compliance with applicable Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), AESI’s financial and administrative policies and relevant legislations.
- Acts as a primary liaison with external and internal auditors and leads the coordination and the provision of required assistance to ensure audits are carried out efficiently and that resources are managed appropriately to consistently meet the needs of auditors and clients.
- Acts as a primary liaison with federal government officials responsible for corporate accounting and reporting (Receiver General for Canada, Internal Revenue Services in the US), to ensure consistent application and adherence to federal Government’s accounting rules.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of effective monitoring and reconciliation mechanisms for salary encumbrances, expenditures, and forecasts.
- Ensures appropriate recording in the General Ledger on a timely basis to ensure that all accounting records, including the payroll distribution, provide accurate and timely information to senior management for decision-making.
- Ensures timely reconciliation and monitoring of accounting activities, while managing risk and ensuring integrity of financial information for reporting and decision-making by senior management.
- Ensures scheduling and management of corporate payables, ensures compliance with the proper controls and the segregation of related duties to ensure probity, and is accountable for other transfers of monies, including non-salary direct deposits, and money transfers between corporate bank accounts.
- Applies modern financial management concepts, best practices and lessons learned, and develops and implements cross-functional learning programs for staff that will maximize productivity and client service to meet corporate policy objectives, priorities and plans, as well as create learning opportunities for the team to ensure that employees are equipped to coach clients and to provide guidance and assistance to end users.
- Actively participates in all aspects of the M&A transaction process as it relates to the business.
Qualifications and Skills
- Completion of a post-secondary degree in Accounting, Business or related discipline
- MBA in finance, business or other related field preferred
- Minimum 7 years accounting experience
- Advanced proficiency with accounting software
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards (GASB), Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Experience with business accounting principles and procedures; knowledge of accepted accounting rules, practices, tax laws, and reporting requirements
- Experience with Mergers and Acquisitions transaction experience including idea origination, industry and strategic fit analysis, accounting/financial/business valuation analysis, deal structuring, due diligence, and deal contract drafting and negotiation experience; preferred
- Understanding of transaction structure implications, purchase accounting, and tax impacts
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office and Excel
- Ability to develop and implement financial policies and procedures
- Knowledge of operating and capital budget concepts
- Able to challenge/validate revenue, cost forecasts/synergies, and other key cash flow assumptions
- Ability to adapt to and learn new software
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills and an ability to communicate at the highest executive levels in the organization
- Strong leadership capabilities including the ability to mobilize the right people in the organization to get things done
- A high degree of focus on quality of work product, ability to deliver under tight time pressure, accountability and managing multiple activities
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and to meet tight deadlines
- Upbeat personality, team player, self-starter (able to work in lean environment with autonomy)
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts
- Able to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines
- Strong research, analytical, problem solving, decision making, project management and organization skills
- Attention to detail in all areas of work
- Ability to work in a team environment and as an individual contributor
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to pass a security clearance check
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment with minimal physical effort required; remote work schedule may be implemented temporarily due to COVID-19
- AESI is committed to providing a safe work environment by implementing measures to prevent the risk and spread of COVID-19, in compliance with the requirements under the Occupational Health & Safety Act and public health directives issued by the Chief Medical Officer and other governing authorities. The health & safety of our employees, clients, and the public remains our top priority.
Please note that although all candidates will be considered, only those who meet the requirements for this position will be contacted.
AESI is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, AESI will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling your interview.